The University of Northern Iowa, University of Iowa and Iowa State University designed the Regents Alternative Pathway to Iowa Licensure (RAPIL) to help talented professionals answer the call to teach. RAPIL allows the participant to be a salaried teacher in a secondary Iowa school, on a Teacher Intern License, for one year. Upon successful completion of the internship year and all program requirements, the candidate is recommended for the Initial Teaching License.
Please complete the Interest Form to express your interest in the program and/or ask any questions you may have. We will contact you with additional details and information about how to get started.
- Baccalaureate degree or higher
- 2.75 GPA
- Three years of post-baccalaureate work experience
- Meet cut scores for Praxis Core in reading, writing and math
- Meet at least 75% of secondary endorsement requirements in at least one area
- Apply in July
- Begin course work in fall
- Continue with coursework through school year
- Obtain an internship
- Teach the following fall
Instructors from the 3 universities offer the course work over the course of one year:
- 15 introductory credit hours taken online at night and may include travel to a central site for occasional face to face weekend classes
- 60 hours of field experience (must make arrangements with your current job to complete this during the school day)
- 12 credits of coursework during internship year (online and face to face)