In granting admission to the Regents Alternative Pathway to Iowa Licensure (RAPIL), consideration is given to the scholarship, health, character, dispositions, and leadership potential of the applicant. Admission to RAPIL is denied to anyone who has made unsuccessful attempts in previous teacher licensure programs.
- Baccalaureate degree or higher
- 2.75 GPA
- Three years of post-baccalaureate work experience
- Meet cut scores for Praxis Core in reading, writing and math
- Meet at least 75% of secondary endorsement requirements in at least one area
Prepare Early. Apply Early
- Application Deadline: May 1
- Plan ahead. Some steps in the application process may take several weeks to complete. Please allow at least 6 weeks to complete and submit your application.
- Submit everything by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the committee.
- Admission is selective. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
Application Process (4 steps)
Step 1 - Gather your application materials
Use this application checklist to collect the materials you will need to submit.
- Pre-Admission Test Scores. RAPIL applicants should complete the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators combined test #5751 with the following minimum scores: Reading-156, Writing-162, and Mathematics-150. Visit the website http://www.ets.org/praxis for more information on scheduling and completing this exam. Please arrange for score reports to be sent to Iowa Teacher Intern program #6310 and we will attach scores to application. If you have already completed the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) you may submit a copy of your results in lieu of completing Praxis Core. You must obtain a composite of 1080 for Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning on the General Test or 300 on the revised General Test. You must obtain a minimum of 3.0 on the Analytical Writing section. Submit directly to Katherine Mossman.
- Transcripts from all colleges attended with evidence of courses taken and grades earned. Please upload UI grade report if courses were taken at the University of Iowa.
- Three Recommendations. Ask each recommendation writer to complete the RAPIL Recommendation form and either return the completed form to you for upload, or send them directly to Katherine Mossman (instructions on the form).
- A Resume (doc, docx, pdf) of paid and/or volunteer work experience, including jobs, employers and dates of employment since completing your Bachelor’s and/or advanced degree.
- Endorsement Analysis. See Step 3 to begin the endorsement evaluation process once you've established your online account (Tk20).
Step 2 - Apply online with Tk20
To submit your application, go to TK20 and follow the provided directions. We recommend using Google Chrome, so please check your current browser for information.
- Type uiowa.tk20.com into your browser (no “http” or “www” needed)
- DO NOT enter “username” and “password” if this is your first visit to the site. Instead, click to open the “Admissions” tab at bottom. Then click on “Click here to create your account” at very bottom.
- Provide the required information in “Create Applicant Account” – create a username and password, then click “Submit.” (Once you have created an account, you will be able to sign in using your username and password rather than going back to the “Admissions” tab).
- On the menu on the left side, click on “Applications”
- From the drop-down menu at top of page, select the appropriate application for your program and click “Next”
- Complete the application
- If you need to stop before your application is complete, click “Save” at the bottom of the form and then click “Close.” DO NOT SUBMIT until your application is complete.
- When the application is complete, click the green “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the form. You cannot make any changes to the application once you SUBMIT the application.
Step 3 - Endorsement Analysis
Prior to beginning the Endorsement Analysis step – you will need to have started or submitted your TK20 application.
To begin the Endorsement Evaluation process:
- Download the form for the specific content endorsement(s) you wish to have reviewed from the endorsement list.
- Complete the self-analysis by filling in the course work information on the form
- Submit the completed endorsement analysis checklist(s) and send official transcripts from your previous institution(s) directly to:
College of Education
University of Iowa
Office of Student Services
310 Lindquist Center North
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1529
Step 4 - Application Fee
Submit a certified check or bank money order for $50, payable to Regents Alternative Pathway to Iowa Licensure, for a non-refundable application fee. No personal checks will be accepted. Include a cover letter indicating you have initiated the application process to be accepted into the RAPIL program.
150 Schindler Education Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0610